Monday, January 6, 2014

Gem Cards


I pulled out my old rock collection yesterday.

Most of the rocks were found during weekend hikes up in Michigan, with the majority of their original homes lost in the sea of memory. There are a few stones however that I will never forget picking up.

...a chipped shale shard in parking lot under the Skylon tower, a perfect 50/50 gray stone found in the street trying to cross to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris (in hindsight, I should have focused on crossing the huge street and not trying to get the rock!) a pink granite from the Flatirons in Boulder, a small mottled rock from my grandparent's old house...

As I held each one, I was brought back to the memory of finding it and soon the hours I had planned to dedicate to reorganizing my closet were lost in fond remembrance. Oops. I guess there's always tomorrow for closet cleaning.
Early this morning I started drawing a few similar geometric forms and decided to design a new set of blank cards from some of my sketches. Luckily, I had a stack of cards and envelopes that has been begging for a design for months, so I decided to create a few runs of the gemstone cards.

I am quite pleased with how they turned out and am excited to use them to send out notes to our friends and family!





I put up a few extra packs for sale on Etsy as too, maybe someone else can get some use of them as well :) Click here to check them out at my shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment