Monday, July 14, 2014

Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum





Having officially opened in November of 2012, I am ashamed to say this was my first visit.

I remember hearing about the groundbreaking back in 2010 and even got a chance to walk by during construction in the hours before a friends on-campus wedding, but this is the first time I've been able to step inside.

Before that however, I'd have to make it past the outside. I must have walked around the museum 3 or 4 times; gazing up at the grand angles, admiring the lines of each facade and just drooling over the building in general.

Once I *eventually* made it through the doors, we proceeded through the exhibits.

Mithu Sen: Border Unseen

Imran Qureshi: The God of Small Things

We took about an hour, slowly walking around the space and taking it all in. Was a fantastic experience.

Added bonus; after lunch at a nearby restaurant we looked down at the sidewalk to see more of Imran Qureshi's work!

Excuse the shadow...


It was the same coloring/technique, but seeing it on the sidewalk really referenced blood/street violence. A whole new perspective on the pieces we saw earlier.

I'm so glad I *finally* got a chance to stop by my alma mater's new museum and I will be eternally jealous of all the students that are able to show their work within it's walls. If I had only waited to graduate by 6 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment