Monday, July 7, 2014

Seabirds and Paddleboards

I adore living in Miami. 
Aside from our mouthwatering guava pastries and the delicious/ever-flowing café con leche, having access to the water is a huge plus for me.

My favorite office.

As of a year or so ago I've been extending my water adventures to the realm of paddleboarding, and while I am pretty sure I am not very skilled at the activity -- I love it.


Lulubelle, pre-deck rigging.

Taking my usual coastal exploration slowly and relatively silently into the bays and channels around Miami has been a wonderful source of inspiration and meditation for my work. My paddle board (affectionately named Lulubelle) has given me a literal platform with which to observe and enjoy the natural world of South Florida from a totally different perspective.

Also, Pelicans.




Pelicans have always been one of my favorite animals. Being able to paddle out to the buoys and old abandoned docks they frequent has given me a chance to get up and close and personal with these beauties, and I am so grateful for it.

I went paddleboarding this past weekend up at Oleta and while I didn't see any Pelicans I did manage to get stuck in a small storm. As invigorating as it was to fight the rain and the waves, having a friend in a kayak tow me to the rest of the boats was incredibly welcome.

After I returned home (and napped), I set to drawing the pelicans I didn't happen to see that particular day.


Finished!

I added the gilded triangle this morning to finish up the 13 x 19 illustration. I love quick little projects like this, but am now just aching to get back on the paddle board and find something new to draw.

Or more pelicans.

No comments:

Post a Comment